The 2018 SUMaC Application will open on Wednesday, January 24th by 5PM PST. A link to the application will become available on this page at this date and time.
Requirements: Students currently in grades 10 or 11
SUMaC is for students who are sophomores and juniors at the time of application, and who have an exceptional interest and ability in mathematics.
- All applicants must first fill out a Preliminary Application.
- A submitted Online Application (available after completing the Preliminary Application)
- A copy of your school transcript or most recent grade report. (Unofficial transcripts are acceptable.)
- Teacher recommendation: On the Online Application, you will be able to request a recommendation from one or more teachers qualified to comment on your performance and ability in the SUMaC subject area.
- A copy of a recent standardized exam score report.
- SUMaC Admissions Exam: Admissions Exam questions are available within the Online Application. Students must set their course preference before they can view the admissions exam on the Work Sample page.
Financial aid is available in the form of partial and full scholarships. Aid is granted based upon need, as well as other factors including merit. Members of underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply. Once you have started the application process you will have access to our Financial Aid application. The application should be submitted within one week of the main SUMaC application.
Admission is competitive.
SUMaC students are selected based on their grades in math courses, their performance on standardized math exams and math contests, their teacher recommendations, their reasons for wanting to come to SUMaC as expressed on the SUMaC application, and their performance on the SUMaC admission exam. Particular emphasis is placed on the admission exam, which is a collection of challenging math problems for applicants to work on at home over an extended period.